Member Alert: Potential Hurricane Matthew Phishing Scams!
As a member at Shore to Shore, on occasion, we ask you to help us support our community and many reputable charities and causes. We want you to know; we research and verify these organizations to ensure they are legitimate causes. We have the utmost confidence in the charities we select to support. Unfortunately, not everyone seeking funds or asking for help during difficult times are trustworthy. Recently there has been an increase of false charities asking for donations for people who were affected by Hurricane Matthew.
Whenever you make the decision to donate or, if you receive emails or phone calls concerning your support of an organization, make sure to:
- Not follow unsolicited web links in email messages.
- Use caution when opening email attachments.
- Keep antivirus and other computer software up-to-date.
- Review the Federal Trade Commission information on Charity Scams.
- Verify the legitimacy of any email solicitation by contacting the organization directly through a trusted contact number. You can find trusted contact information for many charities on the BBB National Charity Report Index.
If you feel you may have donated to a company or organization that was fraudulently collecting on behalf of a charity or cause, do your research and report the suspicious activity to the proper authorities.
« Return to "Member Alerts"