Member Alert: Watch Out for Prize Scams!
There are plenty of reputable contests and sweepstakes out there, but there are also a lot of bad players who are trying to steal consumers’ money.
How does it work?
You’re told you’ve won a prize but:
- You must pay a fee to collect your winnings
- You must wire money to a well-known company to claim your prize
- You must deposit a check they have sent you
- Your notice was mailed by bulk rate postage
- You must attend a sales meeting to win
What you should know:
You can’t win a contest you didn’t enter. Don’t believe claims that you were automatically entered.
What you should do:
- Be vigilant. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recommends looking up a contest or promotion in a search engine with the words “scam” or “complaint”
- Warn others. If you think you’ve been targeted by a prize scam, report it at www.ftc.gov/complaint and share on the Fraud Watch Network.
When it comes to fraud, being cautious is our number one weapon. Help protect yourself and loved ones from scams. Please share this alert!
« Return to "Member Alerts"